Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I don't have to work today... (nanny nanny boo boo)

One of the perks of working for a bank. Happy Veterans Day

It was in the news yesterday that Christian monks from different sects got into a brawl outside of Jesus' tomb in Jerusalem. The Israeli swat team was called in to break it up and two monks (one from each sect) were arrested... The news article interviewed a monk named "Father Pakrat" about the incident - I thought to myself - 'I bet when they ordered new hymnals - he didn't throw the old ones away...'

Apparently monks from six different religious traditions share the church which is called Church of the Holy Sepulcher. It is rumored to house the site of the death burial and resurrection of Jesus.

Because the different groups can't work together and often disagree it sounds like not much of anything gets done there. The article referenced a ladder that was placed on a ledge near the door in the 19th century - its still there - because no one can decide who has the authority to remove it.

The city government has been after the church for ages to put in a fire exit but they won't because they can't decide where it should go.

I'm not making light of their disagreements - it has in fact put in to perspective some of the disagreements of my own body of faith in the past... we resolved the "we need softer toilet paper in the ladies room" synod of the mid 90's relatively simply now that I think about it.

Anyway - not to end abruptly but my main goal wasn't a diatribe on religious harmony - it was the Pakrat joke (if you missed it - re-read the first paragraph).

Fox

1 comment:

Eternal Sunshine said...

I read this yeasterday, but was too crazy to comment.

I thought this was hilarious, but then, I'm always a sucker for puns.